Hubby was a little dubious about whether or not I would even complete the kit, but I was excited and dove right in. I wanted to get my painting mojo back. For the last several years, I've had a kind of art block, something akin to a writer's block. Whenever I have thought about picking up a drawing pencil or paint brush, anxiety held me back.
Completing this simple painting with the helpful guide of numbers and detailed directions seemed like a low stress way to get me to pick up the paint brush again.
And it worked! The process of applying paint to a brush and then a canvas was so much fun, so calming and yet energizing. It was the same sense of utter satisfaction I feel when I'm writing and the words flow effortlessly.
This experience made me realize that the act of creating art and the act of writing are similar in that it's hard to know when you're done. I found myself wanting to improve the painting, continuing to add layers and depth, hoping to perfect what I had created. That's just how I feel about my stories. I know it's important to finish, but I truly enjoy the process of perfecting, of adding layers to make a story better.
I loved the fact that completing this simple little painting project made me think about my writing and that I could find parallels between creating art and creating stories. It's not such a huge revelation, but it was a kind of epiphany for me and it revived my love for drawing and art. I felt so good as I worked on this little canvas that I rashly declared to my husband, "I think I've found my calling!" Without missing a beat, he retorted, "What? Paint by number?" At least I can always rely on him to keep me humble.
Hi Christy,
ReplyDeleteI think when it comes to our creative work most of us need encouragment, rather than humbling. (Though I can hear my husband saying the same thing, to be funny.)The 'block' you described made me think of the book I just read "The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield. It helped me to see how fear was holding me back in my writing.It sounds like we're similiar in being more focused on getting it just right, before finishing a story. I think the ending part will come eventually.
I think your painting is beautiful (I sure couldn't do it, not even with numbers.)
Good luck with both.
That's my favorite Van Gogh painting! What a cool thing to do for stress relief.
ReplyDelete